Thursday, February 28, 2008

Hello, can I help you?

Being in the business of having to answer the phone several times during the day can sometimes lead to stress. I can't count the number of times I've answered the phone, in my business, professional voice, (ha) only to have the person on the other end asking for a phone number. Most of the time it's for the post office because it is a little difficult to find that number in the phone book.

Having a memory like an elephant, I can rattle off the numbers without even having to look them up. I do have a cheat sheet at my desk with a list of all the business phone numbers in case I need to make a quick glance, but more times than not I know them by heart.

So, after the person asks for the phone number and I say 793......I hear, "Wait! Wait! I need to get a pen and paper!" Grrrrr! YOU called for a phone number and you don't already have a pen and paper ready??? What did you think? It was going to take me five minutes to find the number?

Working in a public office, for the public, makes me more aware of when the rolls are reversed and I'm on the recieving end. I try to be more patient with the office worker employee.

I wish everyone had the chance to experience both sides!

No comments: