Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Valentines' Day

Well today is February 14, Valentines Day. The day for lovers, boyfriends, girlfriends, husbands, wives, etc. The list is endless. I had said in an earlier post I would love to have my own restaurant someday. Well, after another Valentine's Day of helping my friend and cousin, Sherry, at Mountain Memories, I can tell you for sure I would not want to have my own flower shop! It's crazy.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love to help Sherry. Heck, on Wednesday I didn't get home till after 1 a.m. My fingers are raw from tying balloons, one of my least favorite jobs. I was up again this morning a little after 6 a.m. getting ready to go back again.

Sherry opens at 6 a.m. on Valentine's Day and there are several that wait till the last day to make a purchase. Crazyness, you bet. It is organized chaos. Each year Sherry gets volunteers to help do different jobs. My job is the front counter, which I don't mind a bit. Greeting the customers as they come in, taking their order, getting it to the proper person to do, or doing it myself. For the most part people were patient.

There were times it was crazy, one order right after another. I'd start making a dent in a pile of orders, only for someone to walk up behind me and lay down another handful, ugh. It was fun, but definetly not something I want to do all the time. I guess it's a good thing February 14 only comes once a year :)

There weren't any exciting stories that happened this year. We had our usual lost drivers, misplaced tickets, misplaced orders, people that weren't home to get their deliveries, but again, for the most part it was a good day.

Jan worked the 'bible' and we've already made plans to make it even smoother next year. Amy helped Jan and was the gopher for most of us. She even made a few deliveries and seemed to have fun. Robin worked the phone and did a great job, Bill and Dennis did the bulk of deliveries. Dennis made several trips to the school. Last night I did the balloons and had them in order for CHS, CES, in Town and out of Town. Funny thing is, once you make a delivery to the school or a business, everyone sees the balloons or flowers and the phone starts to ring. I think Dennis make possibly five trips to the elementary, then it's back to the high school, then just back and forth. Seeing the reactions of the kids makes it all worth it. (The bus drivers might not like it, but, come on, it's just once a year)

Sherry's dad and brother, Bill and Gary, made deliveries this year. The went to Seymour early in the morning with a vehicle full. Gary knows his way around Seymour and Bill loves giving the flowers to the customer.

As always we could use a few more people. This year we needed a couple more delivery drivers, but we felt lucky to have what we had. Coleigh and Erin did a great job of keeping things organized and many times knew exactly what we were going to ask for, even before we asked.

One of the exciting things that happened this year was, we had some roses that walked off! When I got to Mountain Memories this morning I immediately notice one dozen BLUE roses in a vase. They were going to Lacy. I thought to myself she was lucky to have a boyfriend who would send her BLUE roses. As always, Sherry made them look beautiful, so I think that is why it caught everyone's eye. When it came time for Bill to make the delivery, the vase of BLUE roses had vanished. I figured Gary and Bill, who'd already filled their vehicle and were on there way to Seymour, had mistakenly got them in with their deliveries. Once Gary and Bill had called back into the shop and we asked them IF they had the BLUE roses, the mystery continued when they said, "No!"

The vase of roses was seen by at least 3-4 people. The ticket was pulled and marked as 'done' and Sherry remembered doing them, BUT, they were no where to be found. Someone had noticed a strange lady walking the alley behind the shop so we are wondering if somehow she made her way into the tent and got her a dozen BLUE roses!!??!! Guess we will never know, but the good thing is, Sherry made another vase of BLUE roses for Lacy.

If you got anything from Mountain Memories this year, you are lucky. I can assure you there was love and caring put into the making of it. If you are one of the unlucky ones who got something from another florist, better luck next year!

Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments: