Tuesday, February 26, 2008

what have the kids become?

For about the last two weeks when I have picked my son up from school the first words out of his mouth is, "Zack said he was going to beat me up" or "Zack said he was going to kick my a-double-s"

Thinking it might be something that would pass, I just told my son to ignore it. Well, as it went on and on, I finally told him to go to the "Dean of Boys", or the Principle. The last few days have been crazy with early dismissal and then not going to school at all because of the winter weather, so I think we both had forgotten the Zack problem...until yesterday.

As I sat and waited for Patrick to come out of the school, I wondered what the day would bring. I could tell as I seen him walk out of the school and the look on his face, it wasn't going to be good. As soon as he got in the truck he started again about how Zack was going to beat him up. Truthfully, I had forgotten about the whole mess, but was quick to ask him if he had told Mr. Markel or Mr. Schill. Of course he hadn't since it just happened. So as I turned the corner to go home, I turned left back into the school parking lot to go have a word with the principle.

When I walked into the office, the secretary asked if there was something she could do for me. I told her I was tired of this kid telling my son he was going to beat his ass. If it didn't stop, my son was going to be the one beating someone's ass because I was tired of the teasing! She told me he wasn't available as he was with the buses, but would be back shortly. I told her we would wait.

Approximately five minutes later, Mr. Schill walks in and I tell him I need about two minutes of his time. We (Patrick, Mr. Schill and myself) make our way to his office. He is concerned with what the problem is. I explain to him what has been going on for several days and wanted Patrick to come and talk to him himself, but hadn't yet, so it was happening now! He asked if there was something Patrick wanted to tell him, but was embarrassed in front of me. I took the hint and said I was going to step outside. A few moments later, Mr. Schill asked me to come back in the office and was explaining to Patrick he needed to let him know if something was happening because he wouldn't know otherwise. He asked if Patrick was somehow making fun of this Zack kid that would cause him to rebel against Patrick. His answer was "The only thing I tell him is to shut up!"

As we left the school Patrick told me the things that upset him the most is they call him 'gay' and 'queer' but today this kid said to him, "You suck your dad's dick!" I was ready to head back into the office, but Patrick said he had already told the story to Mr. Schill.

I was pleased with the meeting and was assured it would be taken care of. I'm sitting here now wishing my life away, waiting on 2:55 p.m. so I can go pick my son up and see how is day went!

We are suppose to teach our kids to be polite and respectful of each other, but there comes a time when you can't take no more. I am surprised Patrick's not knocked this kid's head off, but I sort of feel that day is coming...sooner than later.

UPDATE: After picking Patrick up today, I can tell you it was a better day. Mr Schill spoke to Zack as he said he would. I just hope the good days continue...

No comments: