Thursday, February 07, 2008

I love meetings.

I recall about five years ago I received a letter from Phi Beta Psi Sorority. The sisters were asking me to become a member. "How sweet!" I thought. They want ME! I called and asked some questions to get some information on the 'club' to see if it was something I wanted to do. After all, I didn't want to become a member of a club that was just a bunch of old women who sat around knitting or crocheting. That would not be me!

The information I got was the meetings were held the second Wednesday of each month beginning at 7 p.m. The months of June, July and August we did not meet so we could spend the summer months with our families. We started up again in September and went until the following May. I talked it over with my husband and son and they did not have a problem with me being gone from the house once a month.

There were about 8 or 10 of us that were the newbies and initiated in February of that year. There have been several times I have laughed my head off. We have held a convention at the Columbus Holiday Inn for our district sorority, performed a skit with dancing and singing in front of hundreds of people I didn't even know! (Yes, I was sober and I have no idea how I got thru it!) And there have been times I've been so pissed at a 'sister' I could have knocked her head off. But for the most part I've had a blast with all of them. Sherry, Linda, Chrystal, Kendra, Norma, Marie, and Tammy are a few of my favorites.

I remember saying to my family, I guess I will join the sorority as they meet on Wednesday and I never have anything to do on Wednesday!

Last August the Athletic Boosters had the election of officers. I declined every nomination I was nominated for and told the few that were present at the meeting that I was just too busy to be tied down to another organization, another meeting and another position to hold. I wanted to just quietly fade into the woodwork, never to be heard from again.

I remember the joy in my voice when I came home after that meeting, telling my family I had finally said "NO!" to something! Yeah! for me! I recall telling Ric and Patrick I was going to have soooo much more time on my hands now, since I wasn't a Booster any more.

Well...

Maybe I spoke too soon...

I carry a daily planner with me. Everyday I have to look at the day and see where I'm suppose to be and at what time I'm suppose to be there. If I lose this book, I'd be lost! I would not have any idea what was going on! I started off last week by working 8 hours at the Town Hall. I got my nails done at 12 noon, went back to work then left at 4:30 to go to the school to work the ticket booth for a middle school girls basketball tourney. Brownstown Central, Brownstown Lutheran, Medora, Crothersville and Sauers were some of the teams playing for the right to be crowned Jackson County basketball champions. I finally made it home about 8 p.m. that evening. On Tuesday it was the same thing again. I worked at the Town Hall for 8 hours, left at 4:30, went to the school to take tickets again for the tourney. Wednesday I worked for 8 hours, went to a Red, White and Blue Festival meeting at 6 p.m. at the fire department with Sherry, Doris Kovener, Todd and Buster. We accomplished quiet a bit in the 2 hours we met, I was pleased.

On Thursday my day started off again at 8 a.m. at the Town Hall. I had to attend court in Seymour with Travis Thompson at 1:30. The Town had filed suit against Paul Scholl and Nick Tatlock for their properties being a trash nuisance. Since I was the one who took the photographs, I had to appear in court to say I took a picture! Duh! Well, I didn't have to testify after all, but I had to be there. The suit was continued, so sometime later I will have to go back to court :(

I made it back to Crothersville by 2:55 to pick Patrick up from school, return to work, leave there at 4:30, go back to school to take tickets for the middle school basketball game. Finally, Friday arrives! There is nothing on my schedule for Friday! Yippie! At 9 p.m. I go to our church to set the Family Life Center up for Enter His Courts on Saturday morning. On Saturday morning I'm at the church by 6:30 a.m. making breakfast for the 100 kids and family members who attend the basketball program. I am usually done around 3 p.m. on Saturday afternoon. It's a long day, but I get to pretend to run a restaurant by serving breakfast and lunch during this time, so being tired at the end of the day don't bother me too much.

Sunday morning I'm up for church by 8 a.m. I teach the elementary youth at 6:30 in the evening, so my Sundays are pretty full too.

I am thinking I had a pretty full week for this week and can't wait to turn the page in my planner to see if I get a break from all this...well, I don't.

Monday started out like the previous week. Eight hours of work at the Town Hall, done at 4:30, back to school to take tickets for a basketball game, home around 8 p.m. Tuesday was the Town Council meeting beginning at 6 p.m. At 6:30 I had another meeting with the Praise Team at church. I was trying to figure out how I could pull off two meetings in one night. I missed the Praise Team meeting, as the Town Council meeting was too exciting to leave!. I always look forward to Wednesdays. That is my 1/2 day at work. I was there till 12 noon, went to Town and Country to get a bite of lunch, had an appointment with Tammy Lee at 1 p.m. to get my hair cut, picked the boy up at school at 2:55, had a church business meeting at 6:30, home at 7:30. Thursday (today) was to work at 8 a.m. I had to leave at 11 a.m. to make it to parent/teacher conferences at school. I was finished with that at 2 p.m. made it to Scottsburg to get gas and shop at Jay-C food store, home at 4 p.m. I have to pick up my Market Day food order between 5 and 6 p.m. Tonight there is a ball game at Brownstown with the boys junior varsity and varsity basketball teams. I was planning on attending, but I think I will skip it. Tomorrow the students are dismissed at 10:55 a.m. Patrick and I are planning on going out to eat somewhere, and just enjoy the afternoon. Tomorrow evening is the first sectional game for the Crothersville girls basketball team. The game is at Orleans. I want to go, but I'm thinking I'm going to say NO! and try to have a quiet evening at home, only to get up at 6:30 a.m. on Saturday to go run my restaurant the church again. Sunday, I'll be at church service again and will do my elementary youth group at 6:30 p.m.

I haven't turned my page in my planner yet to see what is in store for me for next week. I'm kind of scared to, but maybe it will be less stressful than the last two weeks.

I guess I am glad I quit being a booster...it has given me so much more time to do other things. I still for the life of me can't figure out what I was thinking when I said, "I might as well join sorority since I don't have anything else to do on Wednesdays!"

What the heck was I thinkin???

No comments: