Sunday, May 25, 2008

My Radio...

At the suggestion of a fellow Administrator and Blogger, Dan Kovert, in his recent blog (you can view it here http://beaconse.blogspot.com/ ) he suggesting doing a radio scan for a month. Well, to tell you the truth, it sounded like fun so I thought I'd try it. Let me be honest here and tell you I'm glad the month is over with!

I always listen to I105.3 from Scottsburg, Indiana. I really like that channel as they have news about our little burg with some fun contests and great prizes. (I've won several times from CD's to tickets to Holiday World to free food and even a coupon for a free hair cut and shampoo!) But, I did stick with the month of scanning a new channel each day I was going somewhere in my truck.

I had two long trips during the month to Pekin and one to Charlestown for a junior high track meet. Each trip I had to travel 45-50 minutes, one way. Both times the radio channel I ended up on was talk radio. UGH! I was never so glad to get out of my truck those days and turn the radio OFF!

Now don't get me completely wrong, I did enjoy a few of the radio stations. At first I thought it was going to be a great experience as I heard Areosmith, Eagles, Steppenwolf, Bon Jovi and even the Steve Miller Band, my all time favorite! A day or two later I was on a country station and heard some favorites like Kenny Chesney, George Strait, Tim McGraw and Brooks & Dunn. I came across a couple Christian stations and heard some familiar songs I enjoyed too. Problem with all these good artists, I only got to hear them from my house to the school then to work. Then from work, to the school and home. It didn't last long enough! Unlike the talk radio that I thought would never end!

I stuck with it for the entire month, but I'm glad it's over and now I'm back to I105.3. At 7:45 a.m. each morning they have the trivia question for the day and on Thursday's at 7:45 a.m. they draw a name for 4 tickets to Dollywood in Tennessee. I'm registered for those tickets, so listen for my name as they are giving away five more sets of tickets!

Thanks Dan for an interesting idea! I had fun doing the experiment and may do it again sometime, but I'll wait till I know I'm not going on a long trip or somehow figure out how to skip the meaningless talk radio broadcasts ! :-D

No comments: