Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Insight

I am fortunate enough to be on the committee for the Athletic Booster Organization to choose our receipant for the 2008 scholarship. We choose one boy and one girl. There are stipulations you must meet in order to qualify for the scholarship. You must be an athlete your senior year. All of the applicants have applied to and have been accepted to their specific college.

On Monday, May 5th, I went to the school, spoke with the guidance counselor and picked up three (3) applications. Before I left, she asked the office secretary if she had any that had been turned into her. She had nothing. I left the school and went to work. At 8:15 a.m. the office secretary calls me and says she had just received a scholarship application. Problem is, the applications were suppose to be turned in on Thursday, May 1, 2008, not Monday! At the top of the application in bold black letters: Applications must be received by MAY 1, 2008. Please return them to the High School Guidance Counselor.

Two other adults are on the committee with me. In my opinion, this applicant should not be considered, as he did not meet the deadline. I have no idea what the other two feel.

If he is approved, we will have four to choose from. Two young ladies, two young men. IThe committee has the final determination for the scholarship and my choose to meet with the candidates and ask them some questions to help us better determine the winner. I have thought of 12 questions I'd like to ask them to help me finalize my picks. I am excited to hear their responses on some of my questions! I tried to think how I would respond to these questions when I was 18. . .

Who is/was your favorite teacher and why?
Who is your hero?
What are your goals in 5 years? 10 years?
What is your greatest strength?
If you could describe yourself in one word, what would it be?
What or who has been the greatest influence in your life?
What has been your most rewarding experience during high school?

Comparing my answers from what I think I would have answered in 1978 to now, they are quite different! Again, I am excited about hearing their answers. I hope I'm not disappointed!

I will post later on some of the answers we get to these questions and others and I will also let you know who we choose as the receipent of the two $500 scholarships!

1 comment:

Dan Kovert said...

But weren't you only in 3rd grade in 1978? ;-)