Friday, October 17, 2008

You're working for the weekend to do what?

While at work on Friday, October 17, 2008, I get a call from a lady, I'm assuming a mother, asking me when the Town of Crothersville was going to have our trick-or-treat night.

I told her it would be on Halloween night, October 31st, from 6-8 p.m. If she wished to have the little goblins at her door to treat them, she needed to turn her porch light on to welcome them, or if she was going to be taking little ones out, she need to only visit the homes with the porch lights on.

She was shocked, so she said. She could not understand why the Town decided to do it on a Friday night. I mentioned to her that was Halloween, and what better night to trick-or-treat, than on Halloween night??

She said 'most people', including herself, work all week for Friday night to go out and drink and party and couldn't believe the Town would make trick-or-treat on a Friday night.

For a moment I was silent, (I know that is hard to believe) I guess I was in shock for a second, then said, well, maybe 'most people' need to re-think their long work week and decide on something better to do with their Friday nights than drink and drive, since it is illegal anyhow.

Maybe I'm missing something here?? I wasn't ever one to work all week to go spend my hard earned paycheck at some bar, drinking my problems away.

I guess I'm in a different generation.

If you go trick-or-treating, make sure to watch out for the little goblins, but more importantly, I guess, watch the other vehicle. It could be the lady on the other end of my conservation...driving drunk!

No comments: