Saturday, October 11, 2008

What's in a name?

I wonder sometimes if people like their name given to them at birth. I remember when I was pregnant with Patrick. His name was going to be either Patrick or Eric. Both names have Ric in them, so Ric and I knew from day one, one of these names would be what our baby's name would be. Early on we decided on Patrick and I still think this was the best choice! Now, had Patrick been a girl...I have no idea what his name would be.

We hadn't talked about any girl names, so we had nothing picked out. Two years earlier we had chosen the name Michel'lee if we had a girl. It was something different, something no one else had ever heard of. Well, things didn't work out as we had planned and at a spur of the moment decision, we named our son, Rick K. Rick is Ric's first name and K is the initial of my middle name, Kay.

When my mom was pregnant with me, my aunt was also pregnant. They had planned whoever had their baby first would get the name Alisa and second would be Theresa. Well, you guessed it, I was the first one born. I do not like my name and wouldn't have liked my name had I been born second!

I can remember in my younger days wishing my name was Bobbie. Now, I don't like that name either. Not sure now what I would like my name to be, I just know I don't like Alisa. Too any people cannot pronounce my name properly. People usually call me Alisha, or Alissa, or some other butchered up pronunciation.

One little girl at church has always called me Alisia. It's so cute, I can't be upset with the wrong pronunciation when she comes running towards me yelling my name ;-)

I guess I should have grown up and been a rock star or a movie star and changed my name to something I liked. It amazes me some of the names the celbraties come up with for their babies. Apple, Zowie, Moon Unit...

Oh, well, guess I'll just continue to live with Alisa.

1 comment:

Shelley said...

Dear Bobbie --

I personally love the name Alisa.

Best,

Shelisu