Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Wooly Worms

If you have been driving at all during the past few days, you have had to seen all the wooly worms trying to get to the other side of the road! This week on fall break we have traveled several miles across Indiana. Everywhere we have went, we have seen these:

Photobucket

I am kind of curious as to how many of these worms actually make it across the road without be squashed by the passing vehicles.

Big ones, little ones, but mostly the orange/black ones. We did see one white one, but didn't have a camera at the time (gasp!) According to the following link, you are able to tell what kind of winter we will have:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2143194_predict-winter-wooly-worms.html

I don't believe it. I believe we will have whatever kind of winter it wants to be. For me, the deeper the snow the better! ;-)

According to the website if the wooly worm is more brownish in the middle, the winter will be mild. I didn't get a picture of everyone we seen today, there were 100's of them, but I was looking for ones with less brown in the middle!

Photobucket

By the way, the website says to look for the wooly worms under rocks and in hollow logs. I don't know about that, but if you want to see your fair share, travel the roads of southern Indiana...they are everywhere!

No comments: