Thursday, February 04, 2010

Another Bread Story...Or Two...

With 22 starters would you think I would blog about anything else other than Friendship Amish Bread? I've attempted something different with making the bread...some on purpose, some not!

First, I have frozen all 22 starters in attempt to see if the bread would be any good using the starters after removing them from the freezer. The good news is, YES! The bread does not taste any different using frozen starter!

I have read numerous websites and posts concerning how to treat the starter and using different bread ingredients.. Wednesday morning, before I left for work, I removed 2 bags of starter from my freezer, and placed them on my counter. This gave the starter time to thaw and be ready to use by the time I got home from work. (the website I looked at said to let the starter thaw for at least 3 hours)

When I got home from work, Ric and Patrick had decided it was going to be a bowling night! I dropped them off at the bowling alley and made my way to the store to pick up some vanilla pudding and a few other things.

After we arrived home from the bowling outing, Patrick started doing homework, Ric went to the shower, and I started on the bread making. I decided to make a double batch of the original Amish bread. I just needed to remember to double all the ingredients. This time, instead of using the unhealthy oil, I substituted apple sauce. I beat all the doubled ingredients together then buttered and spread the sugar/cinnamon in the pans. Since I was doubling the starter, I was creating 4 breads. I poured the bread batter into the pans and placed them in the oven, set the timer, and beginning cleaning up my mess.

WAIT!

As I turned around from placing the 4 loaves into the oven, there set on my counter the vanilla pudding! &$#@&* !!!!

Now what do I do?? I decided to leave the bread in the oven and omit the instant vanilla pudding. Not sure if an Amish cook as ever done this, but to us the bread tasted just as good as if I had added the pudding!

Well, since I made that mistake, I decided to lay 2 more starters out this morning, before I left for work, and then make 4 more loaves of bread when I got home this evening. This time with the pudding!

When I got home I started on another double batch. This time being more careful not to eliminate any ingredients. Patrick decided to help me on this batch. As he was cracking the eggs, I was adding the apple sauce. He was measuring the cinnamon, baking powder, soda, and salt as I was measuring and adding the sugar and flour. With a double batch I had to add 4 cups of flour. 1, 2, 3, 3, umm, was that the fourth or third cup???

Well it looked like 3, so I added a fourth. Patrick started mixing as I began washing the dirty dishes. Soon after I started to smell my mixer as if it was getting hot. When I turned around and seen the bowl of bread batter, I could tell I had added an extra cup of flour. It looked a bit thicker than normal.

NOW WHAT???

Well, I added another egg, a few spoonfuls of apple sauce, a pinch of soda, baking powder, salt, some milk, and begin to mix again. It still looked a tad thick, so again I added some apple sauce, milk and some cinnamon. A pinch of this, a dash of that, a splash of milk until it got the constancy I thought looked good.

This double batch produced 5 loaves!

I had some caramel ice cream topping and decided to drizzle a couple spoonfuls over the top of the bread before baking. Into a 325 degree oven for one hour. The bread did smell pretty good as it was baking. It even looks pretty darn good as I take it out of the oven!

Finally! After a few minutes, the bread cools enough to take it out of the pan and do a taste test...

Delicious!

Again, my Amish friends would be impressed with my baking skills, lol

The caramel bread is really good! The caramel, for some reason, sank to the bottom of the pan, so on the bottom of the bread is this gooey, sticky, yummy topping! I just flip the bread upside down so the topping is on the top!

I don't think I will put any starters on the counter in the morning before work. I think I'll take a night off. My baking brain needs a little rest.

Saturday could be a different story...stay tuned!

2 comments:

Shelley said...

I ended up with an extra starter (which of course translates into 2 loaves of bread and 4 more starters) because overnight shipping to Florida is $30 bucks. I'm planning to add applesauce to a couple loaves. If they taste or look really ugly, I'll be the first to blame you. If they are wonderful, I doubt you'll get much credit. :-)

Thanks for sharing, Alisa. When I grow up, I want to cook just like you!

Alisa said...

You will love your applesauce bread...We do!

Don't worry about growing up and learning to cook, I can take care of that. You take the pictures and I'll be the chef and we will make a great team!!