Sunday, January 31, 2010

Bread, Bread, Bread, Bread, etc...

Saturday was the day I baked my newest round of Friendship Bread. I originally started with two starters from my good friend Leslie. Each starter will make two loaves of bread and four starters for your friends. Out of the two starters I started with it turned into eight starters. I gave two away and kept six.

Photobucket

Not sure what I was thinking at that time when I didn't give all my starters away?? With six starters and each starter making four new starters, I have created 24 starters!! I gave two away Saturday, but still have 22 of them! Needless to say, my freezer is filling up! I did keep one on my counter, so in just 10 more days I'll be baking again.

I decided to do all of my six starters at one time on Saturday. At the same time I was making breakfast, biscuits and gravy, and tacos in a bag for lunch, for the 100+ kids, parents, grandparents, and fans at Enter His Courts. I was one busy cook all day Saturday! (with help from Conner, Mark, Conner, and Parker, no Patrick since he was working at his job!)

My supplies:

Photobucket

My first round of bread was the original recipe.

Photobucket

The smell of the baking bread Saturday morning sure attracted a crowd of hungry guests. Almost everyone coming in the building made their way to the kitchen wondering what I was doing!

My next double batch (I used two bags of starter at one time and just doubled the ingredients) produced Cherry Amish Bread. Besides the original recipe, this one I believe is my favorite:

Photobucket

They don't look too differently sitting on the counter, but once you slice the bread and taste it, you notice the difference! My last batch was Chocolate Banana. After eight hours I was done with all the bread making for the day.

Photobucket

I'm really glad I only have one lonely batch of the starter on my counter!

No comments: