Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Until We Meet Again...

On Thursday, July 15, 2010, I called my good friend Kendra, who was suppose to be enjoying her vacation with her husband, son, mom and aunt in Orlando, Florida. I was the one who got the surprise when Spencer answered her phone and begin to tell me of the problems she was having. Within minutes a good friend called and we were talking about what had happened and what was going on so far away in Orlando. As we talked, Michelle got the update that Kendra had passed away. Immediately, my cell phone begin to ring, the second line at work was ringing, and it was total ciaos. Each phone call was a friend telling me what happened to one of my best friends. Then and now I can not believe what has happened. I realize if I can’t believe it, I can’t imagine what Lanny, Spencer, Norma and Betty were going through.

Since Thursday I have thought of Kendra almost constantly. I have cried, laughed, smiled and simply remembered all the things we did in her few short years. It seemed every time we were together we would always remember something we had done years earlier and talk about how crazy we were and thank God we weren’t arrested for some of our ‘stunts’.

The first Phi Beta Psi convention I attended was with Kendra. We had a great time because we were together, but the convention sucked! The food, gifts, and entertainment was the worst ever. We always shared laughs about that convention because we made it fun for each other.

Kendra and Lanny often had celebrations for holidays and always invited their friends and family. It was no surprise to go to one of these parties and find 30, 40, or 50 friends sharing stories and laughter with them. Kendra loved her family and friends and it showed. Our last party together was the Fourth of July. They had recently vacationed in Tennessee and had purchased a cooler full of fireworks. She had sent me a text message earlier in the week and wanted us to attend to celebrate. Of course we did. Like Kendra, her parties were simply the best.

Lanny was at the grill, Norma and Kendra had made scrumptious sides and desserts to go along with the meat Lanny was grilling. I remember Kendra telling me I just had to try some of her spinach dip. She wasn’t wrong; it was the best I’ve ever tasted! Like always, we had enough food to feed an army, but that’s the way she liked it. Later in the evening, when it got dark enough, we enjoyed the fireworks all around us. It was another memorable time with Kendra and Lanny. When we left, I hugged Kendra and told her I missed her and loved her, and appreciated the invite to her home to celebrate the 4th, little did I realize it would be the last time I’d see her.

We could go days or weeks in between times we talked, but whenever I needed something, Kendra would be there for me or I would be there for her if she needed me. Today is the celebration of Kendra’s life. A life and friendship that was taken too soon, but God has a plan for each of us. I don’t understand why He needed to take Kendra at this time, but, just like always, we will meet again and pick right back up in conservation and good times like we always did.

Until we meet again, Luv u!!!!!

1 comment:

Alisa said...

Sissy's Song by Alan Jackson

Why did she have to go
So young I just don't know why
Things happen half the time
Without reason without rhyme
Lovely, sweet young woman
Daughter, wife and mother
Makes no sense to me
I just have to believe

She flew up to Heaven on the wings of angels
By the clouds and stars and passed where no one sees
And she walks with Jesus and her loved ones waiting
And I know she's smiling saying
Don't worry 'bout me

Loved ones she left behind
Just trying to survive
And understand the why
Feeling so lost inside
Anger shot straight at God
Then asking for His love
Empty with disbelief
Just hoping that maybe

She flew up to Heaven on the wings of angels
By the clouds and stars and passed where no one sees
And she walks with Jesus and her loved ones waiting
And I know she's smiling saying
Don't worry 'bout me

It's hard to say goodbye
Her picture in my mind
Will always be of times I'll cherish
And I won't cry 'cause

She flew up to Heaven on the wings of angels
By the clouds and stars and passed where no one sees
And she walks with jesus and her loved ones waiting
And I know she's smiling saying
Don't worry 'bout me