Monday, July 26, 2010

16 Years Ago, July 26, 1994

Sixteen years ago I went to Doctor Daniel Walters for my weekly pregnancy appointment. I had two choices:

1. Go home and report back at the hospital the following morning.
2. Go directly to the hospital after Dr. Dan had done my examination.

I chose the second option and arrived at the hospital around 6PM. I had already done my pre-registration, so I went directly to the 4th floor. All the birthing rooms were occupied, so I had to settle for a regular room.

I remember getting hooked up to all the monitors, IVs, cords and tubes running everywhere. I was examined by a nurse, giving a shot and was told my labor would start shortly. I waited, and waited, and waited. Nothing felt different, so around 10PM, I thought I'd roll over in the hospital bed and get some rest, anticipating the new arrival.

Almost immediately my water broke, so I forgot about the resting part. I can still remember having the nurses situate the osculating fan to blow directly on me since I was sweaty and hot. Whenever a nurse would come to check my progress, they would wrap themselves in room dividing curtain to stay warm.

Shortly before 7AM the delivery room bed was brought into my room. I was transferred to the bed and wheeled into the the delivery room. At 7:09AM, Patrick Dwight Barton Sweazy was welcomed into the world by Dr. Dan, Daddy Ric and Mommy!

Patrick weighed 7lbs 8oz and was 20 3/4'' long with curly black hair.



Happy 16th birthday Patrick! I love you as much today as I did the moment I met you!

No comments: