Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Living Forever?

Yesterday, July 7, family, friends, and fans said good-bye to the King of Pop, Michael Jackson. I didn't have the opportunity to watch the live coverage of the entire service, but by tuning into any channel last night I could see the reruns, much like today too. Sad thing is, he's still not buried and the news channels, actually every channel, is still having coverage of the service.

Some of the biggest names in entertainment shared stories and songs of MJ. Jennifer Hudson, 8 months pregnant, was awesome, Stevie Wonder was great as always, Michael's brother Jermaine sang too. Brooke Shields told stories of their childhood. Brooke said he was a 'slacker' because she was 11 months old when she went into show business and he waited until he was 5 years old! Queen Latifa read a poem, then MJ's 11 year old daughter, Prince, had her chance at the microphone, "every since I've been born, Daddy's been the best father anyone could ever imagine and I love him so much".

After that was there a dry eye anywhere around the world? Regardless of what you think of Michael Jackson, that was a moment that will live forever.

Watching the Today show on NBC this morning, the MJ stories are going to continue. Now the discussion of where his final resting place will be. The media is saying his father, Joe, is involved with the drama and expect a surprise announcement later this week.

I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing, 30 years ago, in 1978 when Elvis died. I don't remember this much hoopla over his body, funeral and burial. Maybe it's because Elvis has left the building, but still resides in Hawaii?

I was four years old when John F Kennedy was shot and killed. I remember his service in Washington DC being broadcast by Walter Cronkite. Thirty years from now I'm sure we will have the media telling us of the anniversary of MJ's death. Hopefully he's buried by then!

The world lost Ed McMahon and Farrah Fawcett recently, but those two were over shadowed by the MJ coverage. Sad, but it's time to move on...PLEASE!

No comments: