Sunday, November 15, 2009

They Will Melt in Your Mouth

Probably most of us have went to the store and purchased ding dongs in a box. Don't get me wrong, they are good, but homemade is always better. With ding dongs, there is no exception!

Yesterday, I had to bake some for a church function this morning and I've been asked several times for the recipe, so here it is...

The original recipe was for ding dong cake, but it is rather messy once you start cutting the cake, so a good friend suggested cup cakes. That is what I always make now.

Another thing I've put my own touch on, is the cake itself. If I am making a dark cake, I use 12 ounces of diet Pepsi and with a white cake mix, I use 12 ounces of diet sprite. That's it. No eggs, no oil, no water, nothing. Just 12 ounces of a diet pop.

Mix the cake mix with the 12 ounces of pop until smooth then fill the cake pan or the cup cake papers and bake. I bake the cup cakes for 17-18 minutes. Insert a toothpick into the center of the cup cake to make sure they are done. (with a cake, I do not bake it according to the cake box instructions. I usually bake it 5-8 minutes less, then do the toothpick trick to make sure it's done)

Once the cup cakes are done, let them cool. I use a spoon and remove the centers of the cup cake. This is where the filling will be placed.

Photobucket

Save the scooped out centers in a bowl for later.

To make the filling it takes 3/4 cup powered sugar, 1 stick of butter, 3/4 cup Crisco, 13 ounces of sweetened milk, and 2 tablespoons of vanilla. Mix the sugar, butter, Crisco, and milk. Beat for 3 minutes till smooth. Gradually add the vanilla and beat another minute. When you are finished it should look like this:

Photobucket

I use 1 can of chocolate fudge icing. Place in the microwave for 10-15 seconds to get the icing pourable. Remove from the microwave every few seconds (after the first 10) and stir. Make sure it isn't too runny.

Photobucket

I place a little chocolate icing into the hollowed out cup cakes.

Photobucket

Next I place a spoonful of the filling into the cup cake. Use enough filling to make sure the hole is full and over flowing a bit.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Next, I use the saved cake I had scooped out earlier. Replace this into the hole with the icing. I use a spoon to push the cake into the filling.

Photobucket

Next, I use the rest of the chocolate icing and pour it on top of the filling in the cupcake.

Photobucket

The finished project...

Photobucket

Place the finished cup cakes in the refrigerator overnight and enjoy in the morning.

Serve these the next time you are asked to make a dessert. I will guarantee you no one will be disappointed.

No comments: